Us

Us

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Jesus in the carpool line....

I have to share something. It's just not right to keep something so amazing and so providential to myself.  That would be selfish, right?

I thought so too.

Okay, so I have been hearing about this great devotional by Sarah Young called, "Jesus Calling". Many friends and even my sister have been telling me to get it.

I am devotional-poor. I mean, I have devotionals all around my house. One in every bathroom. Yes, a lot.
(shows you just what i mess i am and how needy i am for His word!)

Moving on.

 So, I had lunch with my dear friend Lisa yesterday at our favorite little spot...Chili's. I wish you knew Lisa. Or maybe some of you do.

Oh my, talk about a godly woman. She is my mentor...in every way. She probably hates when I tell her that but I can't help it. She's just awesome. She's the kind of awesome that doesn't even realize how awesome she is. Which makes her even more awesome. (and she's beautiful). All that rolled into one godly lady..so unfair.

She's the kind of person that makes you want to be better.  I always leave her presence feeling so encouraged and inspired.

Yep, she's that great. (so is her blog....check it out and be blessed.)

Well, I left our lunch and headed to Lifeway to get the book "Excellent Wife". Lisa is teaching this study at her church and was telling me how wonderful it is. If Lisa says it's good...it's good.

I quickly darted in the store and got the very last copy.

As I was checking out, I notice the "Jesus Calling" devotional on the shelf on sale for $10.00.
Ooh..that's a deal. Hard to pass up a good deal. At least for me it is.

I grabbed it and checked out of the store.

I headed straight to the school to get in the carpool line. I was early so I had time to read my new books.

Picking up the devotional first, I went to August 31st. (yesterday)

I settled in my seat with my (real) coke in one hand and my devotional in the other.

I read the passage for that day and nearly fainted right there on the steering wheel.

Okay, God REALLY was speaking to me. To ME. Oh my.

Here is what it read--or what God was saying:


"Grow strong in your weakness. Some of my children I have gifted with abundant strength and stamina. Others, like you, have received the humble gift of frailty. Your fragility is not a punishment, nor does it indicate lack of faith. On the contrary, weak ones like you must live by faith, depending on Me to get you through the day. I am developing your ability to trust Me, to lean on Me, rather than on your understanding. Your natural preference is to plan out your day, knowing what will happen when. My preference is for you to depend on Me continually, trusting Me to guide you and strengthen you as needed. This is how you grow strong in weakness."

I nearly fainted. (Whoever was in the black explorer next to me in carpool, forgive me for my emotional raising of the hands and shouting hallelujah. You must have thought I was crazy. You were right.)

I had just cried on the phone with my friend that morning about how weak I was. How things seemed to affect me so deeply and it was wearing me out. Why couldn't I just be stronger and let things roll off my back instead letting things go so deep within my soul.

Why did God make me that way? Why was my sister strong as a rock...Steady Eddie, and I was weak as a kitten, Unstable Mabel?

He was telling me why in that very passage. He wants my weakness to glorify Him. Living by faith on Him alone.

Wow.

Go get this book.

Go.. now!

What is He showing you today?

If you are on your knees about something, maybe that's exactly where He wants you to be.

Fragile, frail.

Depending on Him, alone.

embracing my weakness and His strength,

jill

1 comment:

Lisa said...

[I'm blushing] and I love you and your blog. I'm going to get that book.