Us

Us

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Girl Interrupted...

I am so overwhelmed by God's grace. If ever there was anyone that did not deserve grace and forgiveness...it's yours truly.

Without going into lengthy detail (which will be hard for me)...I just want you to know that He is sovereign. So much more sovereign than our hearts can even conceive.

This makes me think of my son, Joseph. He recently told me that he just cannot imagine what Heaven will be like. He said, "Mom, my head cannot even think up all of the wonderful things that Heaven has in store for us. That's the way it is supposed to be, right Mommy?"

This scripture popped into my head and I repeated it to him..."For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways, declares the Lord". Isa. 55:8

Thank goodness His thoughts are higher than mine. We serve a God that breaks all barriers of imagination and creativity. I have chills on my arms just thinking about His greatness!

Last night I began a new bible study at my church, Eastridge Community. The study is on the book of Jonah. Priscilla Shirer is the author of the study.

I have been attending a bible study with a wonderful group of girls in Madison for the past year and a half. My path was great and I was very content with my little group.

Until  God rocked the boat. He led me to this study with His very own hands. You see, I was only going to go to this study because I wanted my Mom to join a bible study at my church. I did it for her.

Or, so I thought.

Reluctantly, I went last night. I was sad about not being able to be with my friends in Madison at our usual place at our usual time. I kept telling myself, "You're doing it for Mom. Just go for these 6 weeks and paste a smile on your face. Just do it for Mom."

Oh boy. God had other plans. Last night as we watched a video on the purpose of this study and how it will apply to our lives, I was fighting back tears.

She related the story of Jonah to our very own life and our "Life Interruptions."

You know, an unexpected interruption in your life that can lead you wondering, "Why, God?? Why?"

Interruptions can be anything...the loss of a loved one, the loss of a job, a new job, a broken relationship, an aging parent, a sick loved one,divorce, a dream unfulfilled, financial problems, a strong willed child,  a ______________. Fill in the blank, my friend. That is your very own personal life interruption.

I learned that those life interruptions from the Lord are significant to our journey with Him. Will we be obedient in submitting to His new call for us? Will we say, "Thy will be done, Lord."? Will be bow our heads to Him in complete submission although we don't understand why He has chosen this path for us?

Or, will we sulk and pout and fight tooth and nail to stay on the comfortable path that WE want for ourselves? (yep, that's usually me.)

If you know anything about me by now, you know that change is hard for me. Very hard. I like structure, routine, traditions, etc. Don't be messin' with my path.

But, He has and He will continue to.

It's a privilege, friends, when He stops the clock and stops you dead in your tracks, or rocks the boat so hard that you fall out! (like our friend Jonah) Don't be frightened. Trust me on this, you want to follow Him.

I know this from experience. I look past Him and tell myself that MY plan is better. My plan is more comfortable. My plan is the story that I want for my life. Again, I want to take away His big pen and use my very own pen to write my story.

My plan is not His plan.

That's what I'm learning.

How has your life been interrupted? Have you ever stopped to think that maybe this interruption is significant and your obedient response will have a HUGE impact on your future? The future that he laid out for your life before you were even conceived.

Me either. Until now.

His ways are higher than my ways, His thoughts are higher than my thoughts.

setting sail,

jill

3 comments:

Jennifer Oglesby said...

Jill - what a great message. You are such an inspiration - beautiful, humble, Godly...WOW! Keep it up!

Mary Hudgins Balicki said...

This is so good...
I'm so thankful for my little 10 month old interruption. How she kept me grounded, focus and sain during the most turbulent waters. God is good, His mercy is everlasting and His truth endures to all generations.
I love you, Friend.

Jill Hill said...

Jennifer, you are so, so KIND!!! Thank you for your encouraging words!! You are so precious! :)

Mary, I am so thankful for that little God-interruption of yours as well! What a blessing she is to all of us! Love you so!