Us

Us

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Humble Pie


Notice to all: If you really want to know the truth about something.....ask a child.


I learn this the hard way every time. Well, actually, most of the time, I am not even "asking"...but invariably I get the cold hard truth anyway. My children love to tell me things that they notice about me which aren't always the loveliest and kindest observations. As much as I want them to see me through rose colored glasses, I usually end up under their scrutinizing microscopes.


For example.....two days ago, I am getting dressed in my bathroom and Presley walks in. "Hey, darling", I sweetly say. As I look at her in the mirror she is staring at my bottom. I had just gotten out of the shower, so i had on my panties which were (close your ears little ones)...thongs. Yikes! A few seconds later, my precious daughter asks me "mommy, why do you have so many bruises on your bottom?" "Bruises, I ask?...silly girl, mommy doesn't have bruises on her bottom." She proceeds to say..."No, mommy not bruises, but dents. Why do you have all of those dents on your bottom?" She is serious as a heart attack, and I am melting in my "thongs".

My voice shaking with humiliation, I tell her that when girls become mommies they get those dents on their bottom. And so if she doesn't want dents, then she needs to wait a very long time before becoming a mommy.


My dear son ,Joseph, also has an unfiltered opinion of things. He is quick to tell me when my hair is too dark at the bottom and that it doesn't match the ends of my hair. He loves telling people that his mommy loves to get her hair done so it will "match" again. Ughh...


One more story regarding my now 17 year old nephew Jordan...When he was about 9 years old, we showed him a picture of my mom and dad on their wedding day. We said "Do you know who these people are, Jordan?" He looked closely at the picture, and said, " Yes, their pilgrims!" My mom was so happy to hear that she was compared to a pilgrim in her wedding gown.



And who says that honesty is a good thing??? As for me, i will go on pretending that my bottom is just fine, and be happy that my dark roots aren't grey....yet.



So, there is my big helping of humble pie for the week. "Yum Yum" I say as I choke it down. Water, please?






3 comments:

Tracey said...

I love how you found the silver lining!!! Kids are oh so honest - you gotta love it!!!

Mary Hudgins Balicki said...

Thank God we have our kiddos to help keep us straight!! What would we do otherwise?? (wink, wink!)
Too cute!!! :)

Danielle said...

This post made me laugh and laugh - we were sitting on the beach tonight talking about how kids will just say whatever is on their minds! I can't wait to begin this journey...and I too have found the dimples on my bottom! (thanks Eli!)