Us

Us

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Just say YES....

A lot of things going on around here...school, driving, driving and more driving. Our schools are about 20 miles from our home..yes, 20 miles. We didn't exactly think about this when we moved out here to the beautiful country. However, we have learned to deal with being far away from most civilization and actually starting to cherish it. In fact, those 40 minutes in the car are the absolute favorite minutes of my day. Really, they are. We talk, we pray, we learn our scripture, we laugh, and we sing...LOUD.

It is the biggest joy of my life to be a mother. I learn more and more from them than they will probably ever learn from mommy dearest here. They are the loves of my life..second only to their handsome Daddy, of course. ;)

Anyway, I have been really trying to be a YES mom to my little lambs lately. Before you scratch your heads and log off...let me explain. For example..."YES, you can help me cook dinner, YES, you can spread those brownies in the pan even if they end up lopsided, YES, you can set the table when company comes,YES, you can burp the pledge of allegiance in the privacy of our own kitchen, YES, you can eat your dessert before dinner tonight. (this one is only about once a week, but it happens), YES I will read you all 5 of those books tonight, YES, you are the most handsome or beautiful child that i have ever seen, YES, you are the smartest and coolest kid in town, YES, i will eat lunch with you at school, YES, you CAN do it!"

The last 9 years of being a Mother, NO has been the prominent word. Of course, NO was and IS still very necessary with us. NO, you cannot skip school, NO you cannot unbuckle your seat belt when we pull into the neighborhood, NO you cannot just eat your roll and not your veggies...etc., etc. No's are very necessary. But, in the past, I must admit, I have used "No" when I was tired or just didn't quite feel like playing a game, or reading one more book. I would say it, not just as a teaching tool, but as a crutch when I just didn't feel like saying "YES".

I am constantly trying to challenge myself mentally and physically in the mothering department. I have so much to learn with mothering my children. It is the greatest calling of my life, and I take it very seriously. Countless books, countless scriptures, countless prayers have been read and spoken on behalf of my littlest loved ones. I consider myself an endless "student" in this department of the mothering classroom.

So, that's what is going on here...just living life and trying to make it a memorable one. Not just for me, but for them. Memories that will carry them when I am long gone from this world. YES, it is hard, very hard at times...but OH the rewards that come! We have these precious treasures in our homes for such a short length of time...let's make the most of these moments.....on purpose!

back to my classroom,


Photobucket

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh man did I need this. I have had one of those week's with my boy, it's been a doozy. I want to say "yes" more (I literally just caught my breath...)

Lisa :-)

Kate Wicker said...

Wow. I can relate to this. In fact, I struggle with this all of the time, wanting to be a "yes" mom despite the mess ("yes, you can paint."), the exhaustion ("yes, let's go run in the backyard."), and yes to every last drop of love I have to give.

Here's to a "yes!" kind of weekend.

God bless.

Rebecca said...

What a great idea!

Tracey said...

I too have been trying the yes thing. I honestly don't have all the guilt that I used to have. They are only little for a time so why not.


Off to the pool b.c I said yes!!!!

Love you,
Tracey

Mary Hudgins Balicki said...

That's such a great tip for us Mommies. Thanks Love!