Us

Us

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Lucky number 13....

Today is July 13th. It has been a very special day. I called the number for fostering/adoption in Georgia. My heart pounding, my hands sweaty, I dialed the number and prayed for God's leading.

We have our first class tomorrow night. Yes, tomorrow night! We have to take 20 hours of classes before we can even be eligible...so, here we go.

I have a close friend who told me to write all of this down. Document the memories. So, I am.

Usually, I write in my prayer journal, but it is much easier to type then to free-hand all of this.

So, I have a couple of things to share. Not just for you all, but for me. To keep my hopes up when things seem unsure, or the path is unclear. I need this to remind me of what He is doing through all of this. I need to be able to look back and remember...without a shadow of a doubt that HE is here.

I was feeling a little blah today. Even after the excitement of our first class tomorrow, I just felt a little blahzy. I decided to go to my closet, shut the door and fall on my face before Him. So, I did. My tennis shoes were to the left and a wire hanger was lying to my right.

I prayed to Him and thanked Him. Prayed over loved ones who were facing battles and needing His direction. Just me and He. In the closet. Having some time together.

After praying, a number popped into my head...the number 13. Not the best number. But, I thought for a second and then went to look at my computer at the date today. The 13th..July 13th.

I then went to grab my prayer journal. I knew there was something about that number that God wanted to show me.

I flipped it right open to January 13th. Exactly 6 months ago from today's date. I read it aloud. I had to catch my breath as I got to the 3rd paragraph. It was the very first time that I had written to the Lord about my desire for another child. Yes, I had talked to Him many times before that. But, this was the first time that I had written it to Him.

I also told God I was fasting caffeine for a month. I wanted to be obedient and show Him my desire by giving up something that I really, really, really loved.
I did what I said I would do. I gave up caffeine for a month. For a whole month! If you know me, you know that caffeine is my best friend. My side kick. My liquid consciousness. I feel like breaking into song....

"We go together

 like rama lama lama ke ding a de dinga a dong

remembered forever like

shoo bop shoo wadda wadda yipitty boom de boom!"


You know you love this song from Grease! You will now have it in your head all day. You're welcome.

Anyway, that's my story for today. I am doing what I was encouraged to do. Writing it down.
 
Praying for all of you too. I really am. I believe in the power of prayer. It's real.
 
Jessica Simons I am praying especially for you. God is going to use you, friend. Put on your seatbelt. Speak it outloud and get ready! Keep that Hope alive and burning!
 
cherishing my loved ones...every last one of you,

Jill

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

Jill,

I love your honesty. My heart overflows. I was rotating laundry today thinking how incredibly blessed a child would be to be "fostered" or adopted by the Hill family. The solace, structure and stability that pours over you when you walk into your home would be a welcome respite for a child yearning for calm, yearning for security. I am praying for you, and your precious three as you walk through this door. Praying you feel His presence and direction every step of the way and that He brings the child who needs you, desperately, directly into your path.

Love you so much, Bek

Michele said...

Beautifully expressed, Jill! Thirteen has always been a "lucky" or should I say, "blessed" day for me. I was born on the 13th of Sept. (a Friday, no less) and my oldest was born on the 13th of October. My current softball jersey proudly displays the same number! Love how God purposely orchestrates all things for His glory and for our good!

Jessica said...

You. Are too sweet.
Thank you so much. Once again for your words of encouragement and the example of your walk of such faith and determination.

You remain in my prayers as well. ♥ Jessica