Us

Us

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Summer of......

It's Summer time!

A friend said that she and her children started a "Summer of..." this year.

Well, this stuck like glue to me, because I love any kind of traditions!

Joseph and I decided on:

"Summer of Courage".


We both liked this idea because we wanted to encourage each other to step out and do something we normally would not do. Something it would take lots of courage to do!

Several things have already come up that have challenged us in this area---and we LOVE the challenge!

As we were getting dinner ready a couple of nights ago, we decided we would also incorporate the
"Summer of Culture"into our meal times.

I want my children to be well versed in different foods and cultures. This has always been important to me. Joseph went to Italy with us in 2009, and the things that he learned while there have never been forgotten. Presley keeps reminding us that it's HER turn. :)

We began our Summer of Culture last night with Mexican Night. Tacos, black beans, corn, and churros were on the menu. Of course, the kids had orange drinks made in Mexico as well. Danny had a Fanta Orange because he was a last minute show-up after tennis practice. He was happy to oblige the Fanta Orange. :-)

We spoke some Spanish words as we ate, and I got out the globe and showed the kids where Mexico was. 

Tonight, in keeping with our Summer of Culture, we had Italian Night. Spaghetti, salad, and pretend-mineral water were on the menu. If you order water in Italy, they automatically assume you mean mineral water in a bottle. You have to be very specific and say "no gas" for regular water, OR you say "with gas" for mineral water. {see, we learned something there} :-)

The kids have already requested a Chinese, Japanese, and American night in the near future. 

I've got some research to do on some other countries and their foods and culture in the meantime. 

I have to say that this reminds me SO much of the things my Momma would do with us! She was the MOST fun Momma! She would make homemade biscuits and shape them into little animals. Everything was fun when we were little! I hope and pray my kids will remember these little things just like I remember all of the fun details that we did as a family. :)


Mexican!
Mexican Moustaches by Presley ;)

moustache kids

spanish olives


chips and salsa


Danny's sign <3 font="">

finally, time to eat! couldn't wait for Daddy and Joseph!

homemade churros and whip cream
{my version--breadsticks, melted butter and cinnamon, and bake in oven--yummy!}

No comments: