Us

Us

Thursday, January 20, 2011

My day....

Today was a good day. I decided to put a few "chores" on hold and take my little crooked-smiling 4th grader to lunch. Yes, take him to lunch. Not just the usual, have-lunch-at-school date.

It all began after walking Presley into school this morning. Just a normal day, not much different. Rush, rush...fighting in the car over which track on the cd to play. You know, the usual.

Well, as I was hurriedly walking up the side-walk holding Presley's hand and dragging..uh, i mean guiding her into school, something happened. I looked down at her. I saw her little shoulders carrying a book bag, just about as big as she is. She was looking down at the ground. I stopped mid-step and told her that I loved her.

I had a flashback of doing the same thing with Joseph when he was a mere Kindergartner. Wasn't that just yesterday? Wasn't it?

I realized that I had fallen into the "groove" again. The groove that is dangerous. The groove of not realizing how short this time is with these little nuggets of gold.

My pace slowed down. Presley finally had to say.. "Come on, Mommy!"

I walked her into class. I didn't want to leave. Or better yet, I wanted her to leave with me. Fighting back tears and a lump the size of an orange in my throat, I walked out.

I got into the car. My eyes burning with tears, I made a vow to not let this time go by without being in every moment.

My laundry baskets are overflowing....yes, literally. I have a lot to catch up on.

It would have to wait.

2 hours later, I arrived at Joseph's school, checked him out and took him to lunch at his favorite little American-dive...Chick-fil-a.

Why Joseph and not Presley, you ask?

Presley has a very hard time saying goodbye after our lunch dates. Being that we just got back into the swing of things from our Christmas break and then our snow break, I thought it best to give her a few weeks. It takes her a bit to get back in the saddle of school.

Joseph and I had a fabulous date. He makes me laugh, that boy. I could inhale him with one large breath.

This was my day.

back to the laundry basket,


Photobucket

2 comments:

Lisa said...

We share the same heart Jill. Baby girl and I went and saw Scott @ his office this a.m. on our way to an appt. downtown...I missed our boy being with us. It was the first time I had been to his office w/out both kiddos. Man those moments, something as simple as having lunch with Daddy...we are now a table of 3, not 4, since our big boy is in school. We are kindred spirits Jill Hill.

Jill Hill said...

oh, sweet lisa. love you long time. ;)