Us

Us

Monday, February 22, 2016

Don't give up little Momma....


Every Sunday I teach a group of 7th and 8th grade girls at our church. It's the hardest thing I have ever done. By far. Not because they are hard, but because there is a pretty large generational gap between us. My comfort zone is women closer to my age, or older.

I often wonder if these precious girls are "getting" what I am trying to teach them. These girls are very smart, and very wise. However, I still feel inadequate at times when trying to relate a concept to them.

However, I am reassured by God's Word being the foundation of our conversations. His Word is transcending and relatable to all ages and generations. So, even if I blow it in my teaching, they will get it when the Word is spoken.

"Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God" Romans 10:17

As parents, I think we feel this way with our children at times. At least I do.

When I speak to my 14 year old son, his response is not always what I want to hear.

I often wonder if he thinks I am just talking to hear myself talk. He's a really good kid. He tries to listen. He really does. But half the time I think he's not really comprehending because his thoughts are far away. In teenage boy land.

I have a choice. I can let this make me angry and yell at him for not listening.

Or, I can speak in my normal tone and convey what I am trying to say as calmly as possible.

Often I have raised my voice. However, I am beginning to see that I really don't have to yell.

He is listening. Whether he realizes it or not.

Our brains are pretty powerful. They can soak up information that we don't even realize they are soaking up.

When my husband leaves the TV on at night, I will have dreams about the shows he is watching. I am not even cognizant or awake, but my brain is listening and taking it in.

Crazy, right?

So, why am I telling you all of this.

Because, I want us to not give up as parents.

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 4:9

I want us to keep talking to our kids. Keep teaching them. Keep praising them more than we criticize them. Keep pouring God's word into them.

They are listening.

These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Deuteronomy 6:4-7

Tape scripture under their beds. Around their bathroom mirror. Hide them in their book bags. Hide them in their diaper bags. Yes, even there.

Even if your children are very young, God's word will translate to the language their little hearts can understand. Just keep speaking it to them.

His Word is alive. It will penetrate into their hearts. Be patient and trust in Him to work.

Do not lose heart, whatever you do. Every single prayer prayed on behalf of our children is a seed planted for a harvest one day. His Word will never return void.

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 2 Corinthians 4:16

I love this scripture. No matter what the "outside" shows in the lives of your children, it's the inside that God is renewing. Trust Him to do this!

Believe He will.

Stake your claim on the promises found in His Word and pray it over your children.

Ask God to "hide His word in your child's heart". Psalm 119:11

Never stop speaking God's word over them. No matter how old they are, speak it. Speak it daily.

The more we repetitively hear something, the more we believe it to be true.

"I will never stop praising the Lord, His praise will always be on my lips." Psalm 34:1

Be a broken record of praise over your children. Let them know you mean it when you say that they are "fearfully and wonderfully" made. Psalm 139:14

Be your child's biggest fan. Not their worst critic. Let them feel safe with you. Not threatened by your judgement and critical spirit towards them.

We will never as parents always get it right. But, we can love the living daylights out of our children even when we stumble and bumble our way about in this parenting world. A humble heart before the Lord goes a long, long way.

He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble his way. Psalm 25:9
When we ask for God to lead us, He will.

"in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight"  Proverbs 3:6

I came across the following scripture recently when I was at a loss with one of my children. I needed wisdom and I just wasn't sure what the right thing to do was.

He tends his flock like a shepherd:  He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young. Isaiah 40:11

And all the momma's said AMEN.


lead us Lord,

jill

No comments: